Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Head coach Randy Shannon will be awarded the Orange Bowl Keith Tribble Trailblazer Award at the Orange Bowl Committee’s seventh annual Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Field of Dreams Scholarship Benefit at 7 p.m. on May 8 at the Broward County Convention Center.

The award honors an individual who has made a significant impact in South Florida and is given annually to a person who has helped open doors, blazed trails and prepared a way for others to have better lives.

Shannon was named the head football coach of the University of Miami on December 8, 2006. He is one of only seven African-American head coaches from among the 119 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and the only one from a BCS automatic-qualifying conference.

BASEBALL

Junior and preseason All-American closer Kyle Bellamy earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week after saving both of Miami’s wins over Virginia Tech over the weekend in five scoreless innings, increasing his league-leading save total to 12. He allowed just two hits and two walks and fanned eight to earn his seventh and eighth multi-inning saves.

On the season, Bellamy is 3-1 with a 1.34 ERA and 52 strikeouts in 33 2/3 innings.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami will play host to Minnesota in the 2009 Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Dec. 2 at the BankUnited Center.

It marks the fourth time that the Hurricanes will participate in the challenge. The Gophers, who fell to Texas in the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, will face the Canes for the first time.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...