Our opinion: Going through the five stages of graduation

We’ve all heard of the five stages of grief and dying: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. You may be wondering where the hell this editorial is headed right now, but if you think about it, the life cycle of a college student directly correlates to these five stages.

Denial – Think about freshman year. It’s all about learning the ropes and figuring out a balance between work and play. Most of our scales tip towards the “play” side. We deny the ever-present responsibility of living on our own.

Anger – “Shit! I hate my teacher, it’s not fair. I totally should have gotten at least a C on that test.” It’s easy to blame our poor study skills and lack of motivation on a “mean” teacher, but the truth is, you probably should have studied a little harder.

Bargaining – “I’ll do anything if you let me pass…and I mean anything” We’ve all been there before, begging and pleading for one last extra credit opportunity to boost that grade.

Depression – “What’s the point of studying now, there’s only two hours before the test and I know nothing, I’m screwed either way.” Depression once again comes around in full force in the beginning of a senior’s last semester.

Acceptance – By the end of senior year, you’ve accepted your fate. “I can’t avoid real life, I may as well prepare for it.”

For those seniors out there, the end is near. This fantasy we’ve been living for the past four (maybe five) years is about to conclude. On May 15, we’ll be standing face to face with the first day of the rest of our lives.

Congratulations and good luck.

Editorial Board

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...