Lowe Art Museum curator driven by passion, dedication to art, UM

“The Football Player,” a realistic sculpture of an athlete sitting on his helmet, and “Modular Painting in Four Panels V,” by Roy Lichtenstien, one of the leaders of the pop art movement, would catch any inattentive eye at the Lowe Art Museum.

Pieces like these have made the collection at the Lowe one of the best in the southeast, numbering more thsn 16,000 pieces, according to its Web site.

This collection is also the greatest success of Brian Dursum, the present director and curator of the Lowe Art Museum.

“From my point of view, his biggest achievement in the long run has been the collection,” said Denise Gerson, associate director at the Lowe. “He’s been instrumental in expanding the collection, organizing the collection and hiring people who have brought the collection into a 21st century light.”

Over the past 35 years, Dursum has been the most integral figure to the curation of the museum’s wide array of exhibitions and collections.

Dursum’s passion for the arts is of no surprise, it’s a product of his multicultural background.

Dursum was born in Portugal and later moved to Brazil and then England. With his travels, his appreciation for the arts increased exponentially, eventually leading to his concentration in Asian art.

“He lived for several years in Taiwan, and that’s his area of curatorial expertise here in the museum,” Gerson said. “We have a very significant Asian collection that Brian is responsible for.”

And that love and appreciation of culture and art at a young age was complemented by his knack for collecting.

“I started with rocks,” Dursum said. “If any rock looked somewhat interesting I would pick it up and I had this whole stack of rocks.”

The conjunction of collecting and cultural appreciation has culminated into a career for Dursum, who now collects art, instead of rocks.

Dursum, now 60, remains fully dedicated to the museum.

“He’s dedicated his blood, sweat and tears to this museum,” said Gita Shoneck, communications and marketing assistant at the Lowe. “He’s definitely left his mark on the museum and on the university community as a whole.”

“I’m most proud of what I’ve been able to accomplish at the museum,” Dursum said. “And it’s not just me, because it’s always a team effort – our donors, our patrons, our staff.”

As for the future, the thing Dursum will be most proud of is the legacy he’ll leave behind.

“The main thing is that I would like to think that I made a difference, and that when I leave the museum will be a better place for the university, and for its students and faculty, and also for the community at large,” he said.

Michelle Powers

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...