Architecture students, faculty help rebuild Haitian hospital

Jessica Karsten, a first-year graduate student in the SOA, explains her design for the renovations to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Belladere, Haiti to the health-care studio held on Monday morning. Professor Joanna Lombard of the SOA and Dr. David Walton of PIH and the hospital listen to her ideas.  JESSICA HODDER // HURRICANE STAFF

Jessica Karsten, a first-year graduate student in the SOA, explains her design for the renovations to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Belladere, Haiti to the health-care studio held on Monday morning. Professor Joanna Lombard of the SOA and Dr. David Walton of PIH and the hospital listen to her ideas. JESSICA HODDER // HURRICANE STAFF

Photos of a run-down building lined the walls of a studio in the School of Architecture Monday morning. Students and faculty met in a healthcare studio at this school with a new project in mind: to renovate a hospital built in 1948 in Belladere, Haiti.

The project involves students, faculty and the healthcare studio as well as the organization Partners in Health (PIH). The focus of PIH is to provide better healthcare options for the poor.

One of the main obstacles facing students is space.

“The hospital has the capacity to be a major surgical center, but they are constrained by the lack of facilities available,” said Dr. David Walton, a staff member of the hospital and a member of PIH for over 10 years. “We need all the space we can get.”

Waiting room size is also limited. Patients sometimes have to wait outside in the heat to be seen by a doctor.

Places to prepare for operations, operating rooms, post operation areas, an infectious disease ward and a maternity ward were among the needs Walton expressed on Monday morning.

Walton also reminded the group of the necessity of having separation among different clinics, such as outpatient and in-patient as well as maternity and infectious disease.

The infectious disease ward is a particularly important aspect of the hospital – Haiti has the highest tuberculosis and HIV infection rates in the western hemisphere, according to the Embassy of Haiti’s Web site.

Joanna Lombard, who is leading the current session of the studio, said the next steps will be to regroup after this meeting and then take their four best designs to Haiti and compare them to the actual building.

The School of Architecture’s associate dean, Denis Hector, will lead the first summer session of the studio and take students to Haiti to visit the site.

Additional details for plans in the future will account for factors such as lighting, ventilation and ceiling requirements.

Jessica Hodder

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...