‘The Soloist’ fails to live up to potential

The trailer for The Soloist showed so much promise. It was stirring, emotional, beautiful and featured amazing music. Combining Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx with director Joe Wright should have created something electrifying. Unfortunately, the final product is far less than the individual parts. Downey, Wright and an immense amount of Beethoven and Bach are all wasted on a film that is more saccharine and preachy than anything.

The main problem lies not in its performances, one outstanding (Downey) and one cloying (the overrated Jamie Foxx), nor in its direction. Wright, who rose to fame with films like 2005’s rehash of Pride and Prejudice and 2007’s Atonement, presents an honest and unsparing look at homelessness and mental illness on Los Angeles’ famed Skid Row, but the issue at hand is the plot. Simply put, nothing happens for far too long. A journalist (Downey) befriends a schizophrenic, immensely talented musician (Foxx), and then nothing happens. Will the musician overcome his illness to play again? Will the journalist remain the musician’s friend? Will anyone care? Honestly, probably not.

Rating: 2/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...

The first-year and redshirt players in Miami's developmental training program have spent months ...