Our opinion: Party for national champion Murielle Ahoure provides opportunity for fan base

Far too often, the Miami fanbase is rapped as one that doesn’t support its teams and athletes nearly as much as it should. Wednesday will present an opportunity for fans and students to answer that challenge with a great event that should be pretty darn fun too.

University of Miami sprinter Murielle Ahoure won the national title in the indoor 200-meter run at the NCAA championships in March. Miami has a proud history of track and field success, and Ahoure continues that legacy. To celebrate her victory, Category 5 will be hosting a celebration of her championship on Wednesday at 12:30 in the University Center lounge.

Track and field athletes, along with other non-revenue sports, don’t get the credit they so rightly deserve. Athletes like Ahoure and Julia Cohen, who you can see on the cover of the sports section, work just as hard as football and basketball players but don’t receive the accolades they should. Now is the time to show your support for what they do and what they mean to the university.

So go to the UC Wednesday. Have some pizza. Meet Murielle and Sebastian the Ibis. It’s a fun time and a celebration of Miami’s successes, something we can all rally behind.

Editorial Board

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...