Hurricane Productions wins Organization of Year

Hurricane Productions was named the Organization of the Year on Wednesday night at the COSO Student Organization Achievement & Recognition (SOAR) Awards. They beat out seven other organizations which included the Association of Commuter Students, Indian Students’ Association, Rho Rho Rho and United Black Students.

“Organization of the Year encompasses all of the awards in one,” said Jaife Calil, the chair of COSO, the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations, for the 2009-2010 school year. “We tried to give it to an organization who was consistent throughout the entire year.”

Other awards given out were Most Spirited Organization (ACS), Most Improved Organization (Rho Rho Rho) and Best New Organization (Respect Life).

Amongst the awards given out were also those dedicated to excellence in programming in several specific areas: Cultural (ISA), Innovative (UBS), Performance (ISA) and Community Service (FEC), as well as an award dedicated to a new emphasis from COSO, co-sponsorship of events.

This award, won by Ocean Kids for Underprivilaged, Minority Children of South Florida, was designed to promote cooperation between organizations.

“Co-sponsorship is designed to bring all of the ideas to the board and create the best event possible,” said Amar Mandalia, the vice-chair of COSO.

The event took place at the Westin Hotel in downtown Coral Gables. Students from many of the nominated organizations were in attendance.

This year, students and administrators were introduced into the selection process to allow organizations to demonstrate their work across campus. It brought to a close a school year that featured many outstanding programs from these organizations.

“This event is a great way for us to award individuals and organizations for the hard work that they have done,” Mandalia said.

An entire list of winners and nominees can be found at www.themiamihurricane.com.

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...