‘Hello, Dolly!’ cast hopes to live up to standard set by theater’s namesake

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=58″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

In the pantheon of American musical theater, few works match the color and joy of Hello, Dolly! Between April 22 and May 2, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre will host the University of Miami theater department’s production of the beloved musical.

Hello, Dolly! is the final play of the 2008-2009 Ring Theatre season, which was highlighted by successful performances of Cabaret, The Winter’s Tale, You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, and Dog Sees God.

Hello, Dolly!, which is set in turn-of-the-century New York, is the story of vivacious matchmaker Dolly Levi Gallagher and her quest to nab a girl for the wealthy but crabby Horace Vandergelder. What ensues is a fanfare of laughs, romance and a memorable medley of songs that still dazzles audiences. The song “Put On Your Sunday Clothes” even played a significant role in the 2008 Pixar film WALL-E.

With music and lyrics by Tony Award-winning UM alum Jerry Herman, Hello, Dolly! opened at the St. James Theatre on Broadway in 1964 to rave reviews. The musical won 10 Tony Awards that year, including Best Musical. The original Broadway production ran for 2,844 consecutive performances, closing in 1970 as the longest-running musical in Broadway history up to that time.

Considering the list of awards that show has won, and that fact that they’re performing at the creator’s namesake theater, the cast and crew feel a little bit of pressure to live up to the musical’s illustrious reputation and give the Ring Theatre’s season a rousing finale.

“We always try to close [our season]with a big musical that challenges our abilities,”  said Vince Cardinal, the chairman of the UM Theatre Arts Department.

No matter how great the demand may be to impress, the actors on stage and the crew directing them can count on spiritual support from the theater legend. Herman himself sent a letter to the cast and crew bestowing upon them his best wishes.

“I’d like everyone connected with Dolly to know that my heart is with you, and what a special thrill it is to have it playing in my namesake theater,” he wrote. “If you should hear a strange voice singing along with the curtain calls – it’s me from Los Angeles.”

If You Go

What: Hello, Dolly!

When: Totally Tuesday is April 28. Wednesday, April 29-Friday, May 1 at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 2 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Where: Jerry Herman Ring Theater

Cost: Ticket prices for weekdays and matinees are $8 for UM students, $16 for seniors and UM faculty, staff, and alumni, and $18 for regular admission. Friday and Saturday Nights: $10 for students, $18 for faculty, seniors, and alumni, and $22 for regular admission

Danny Parra

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...