‘Caper Chronicles’ combines comic adventure and parkour

An elaborate heist scheme. A valuable medallion. A ruthless mob boss. An old foe and a vengeful villain.

These elements may seem like they came from the next James Bond blockbuster, but Caper Chronicles: Lot 129, is really a short film written, directed and produced by a group of University of Miami students that is technically for a grade.

The idea for Caper Chronicles began last year when senior Stephen Interrante began training in parkour. Similar to freerunning, parkour is the art of moving through an environment as quickly as possible while using objects and architecture to create obstacles. Inspired by the action, he wrote a short film called Caper Chronicles: Pros and Cons, which features characters using parkour to escape sticky situations.

Lot 129, the eighth part in what will hopefully become a 12-part series, incorporates some of the same characters from Pros and Cons. The story basically mixes the parkour action elements with a comic book-like adventure plot.

“The parkour is very interesting to watch because…there’s no tricks to it,” said Interrante who wrote, produced and acted in the film. “It’s exciting because it’s very realistic. Everything is being done, it isn’t fake or staged.”

Cast and crew are enthusiastic about the final product, which took more than six months to complete. It required the combined efforts of 30 students, a budget of more than $6,000 and the unfaltering support of professionals at Miami Freerunning and American Parkour.

“It was very humbling for us to have so many kids have faith in us and have these professionals have faith in us,” said senior Peter Saroufim, the director and editor of the project. “We’re just students and all these professional athletes are there listening to us and excited to work for us.”

Interrante, Saroufim and other crewmembers are optimistic about the future of their story and are considering expanding it into a Web or television series.

“This film is a step out into the professional world that says, ‘This is what we’re capable of while we’re students and don’t have a lot of money, so if you put faith in us, give us more time, and more resources we can do something much, much better,'” said sophomore Andrew Bryant, a producer and assistant director for the film.

Lot 129 will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Monday, April 27, at 10 p.m. in a one-hour event which will include an exclusive performance by Miami Freerunning and behind-the-scenes documentary footage from the making of the film.

IF YOU GO

What: Caper Chronicles: Lot 129

When: April 27, 10 to 11 p.m

Where: Cosford Cinema

Cost: Free to the public

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...