Sports Briefs

ROWING

Senior Laura Cordner and sophomore Emily Wingrove were selected to the All-ACC team as the University of Miami rowing team finished third at Monday’s ACC Rowing Championships at Melton Lake in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

Miami earned a total of 34 points on Monday, while Clemson claimed its first-ever ACC Rowing Championship by sweeping the Varsity Four and Varsity Eight events to finish with 55 points.

GOLF

Sophomore Maria Ronderos posted a 74 in the final round as Miami finished eighth at the ACC Championships this past weekend at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C.

Wake Forest shot 17-over (869) to claim the championship, which was 24 strokes better than second place North Carolina (893). The Hurricanes shot 316 on the final day. Demon Deacon sophomore Natalie Sheary captured the ACC individual title with a one-over par 214.

Ronderos finished 24th with a 21-over par 234.

VOLLEYBALL

The Hurricanes participated in their final event of the spring season by fielding four teams in the Fiesta on Siesta Key of the Collegiate Beach Volleyball Challenge. The event was shown live on ESPNU and streamed through CBS College Sports Online.

As the matches moved into the playoff divisions, Miami had the top-seeded team for the Gold Division in freshman Lane Carico and junior Cassie Loessberg, but the duo was upset in the opening round by Notre Dame’s Kristen Dealy and Serinity Phillips, 21-14.

Redshirt sophomore Lici McGee and sophomore Maria Andersson were the only Canes to reach the second round. The pair suffered a 29-27 loss to Jacksonville’s team of Brittany Lehman and Kathyrn Kane in the Silver Division.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Antoine Allen, a 6’2″ guard from Baltimore, Md., selected Miami over teams like Florida State and Providence. He averaged 20 points, six assists and five rebounds playing prep basketball at Mississippi Elite Christian Academy and played AAU basketball for Cecil Kirk – the same Baltimore-based program that produced two-time First Team All-ACC selection Jack McClinton.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

For the second consecutive season, an incoming University of Miami women’s basketball player has been named to PARADE magazine’s third-team All-American squad. Morgan Stroman from Hopkins, S.C., joined current Hurricane Shenise Johnson.

Stroman, a 6’2″ forward from Lower Richmond High School, was named to the Sporting News Prep All-American Second-Team and played in the 2009 McDonald’s All-American game at the BankUnited Center. She is ranked eighth nationally by the Blue Star report, earned the South Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year for the third consecutive season, led her team to four straight 4A state championships and received MVP honors each time.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Head swimming coach Christie Shefchunas and the University of Miami swimming and diving team took part in a Habitat for Humanity community outreach program this past Saturday as they paired with members of the Hurricanes soccer team to build a house in the Liberty City section of Miami.

Together, the Canes paired with members of a professional construction crew and fellow volunteers to help build a home for a deserving family in the Miami-Dade community.

ACADEMIC HONORS

Four University of Miami athletic squads were among those honored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association for their latest Academic Progress Report scores (APR).

The men’s cross country, men’s diving, men’s indoor track and men’s outdoor track teams were recognized as having posted multi-year APR scores in the top 10 percent of all squads in their respective sports. Those teams recognized this year had an APR score between 976 and a perfect 1000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...