Our opinion: New form of Coconut Grove transportation needs rules with teeth

It’s kind of funny to think about the vitriol that surrounded the cancellation of the Ibis Ride just a few short weeks ago. Irresponsibility on the part of students, haste on the part of the Dean of Students office and disgust on both sides, for different reasons.

Now the dust has settled a bit, and overtures have been made by Dean Ricardo Hall that indicate some type of Coconut Grove transportation will be made available beginning next academic year. But what will be changed? What will be made different to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again?

The answer to this student-created problem naturally comes from a student. Irene Daboin, a sophomore and resident assistant in Stanford Residential College, e-mailed The Miami Hurricane and Dean Hall immediately after the cancellation. Her suggestion? Give the watchdogs on the shuttles some bite. The Ibis Ride is university property, just as a floor in a residential college. If a rule is broken on the shuttle, it should be penalized like it would be if you were stumbling around campus so drunk you don’t know where you are. Irene’s proposal is the creation of a Transportation Security Assistant with the authority to write students up, submit reports to the Dean of Students and call for police assistance if necessary.

Sometimes, the threat of enforcement is the only enforcement necessary. If students know that their actions will have real repercussions, they’ll clean up their act (literally and figuratively) before they step foot on the shuttle. To Dean Hall and the rest of the Dean of Students office: listen to this proposal. Most students want the Ibis Ride back, and they want it to be safe. This is one inexpensive way of making that happen.

Editorial Board

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...