Baseball

Matchup: Miami vs. Virgina Tech

Starting Pitching Advantage: Even

Both teams come into this Coastal Division clash with similar numbers in the weekend rotation. Sophomore Chris Hernandez found his groove and pitched well in his last three starts. He gives up a lot of hits but his stuff is so good he is able to work in and out of trouble. Junior David Gutierrez and sophomore Iden Nazario are coming off solid outings last weekend, each tossing 5.1 innings and allowing three runs against the potent UNC Tar Heels. Virginia Tech starter Justin Wright is in the top 10 in the ACC in ERA (3.45). VT’s three weekend starters are a combined 12-5 but have given up 13 home runs as a trio.

Bullpen Advantage: Miami

Miami freshmen Sam Robinson and Daniel Miranda pitch well in relief. Each has found their niche. Robinson’s sweeping side arm delivery baffles left-handed hitters, and Miranda is a hard thrower that can give the Canes length in the bullpen. Despite the fact that Kyle Bellamy picked up his first loss of the season last weekend, he is still the best closer in college baseball. Four different Hokie relievers have at least one save. They do not have a definitive closer.

Infield Advantage: Even

First baseman Jason Hagerty has been the Canes’ hottest hitter. He has at least one RBI in 12 of his last 15 games, entering last night. Over that span, he is hitting at a .389 clip. Shortstop Ryan Jackson feasted on Hokie pitching last year in Blacksburg, Va., as he went 5-for-11. Second baseman Scott Lawson leads the team in batting average, walks and doubles. All four Hokie infielders are hitting over .300. They are the reason VT is second in the ACC in team batting average (.327).

Outfield Advantage: Virginia Tech

Miami outfielders Chris Herrmann, Nathan Melendres and Dave DiNatale have shown flashes of brightness but have yet to provide consistency in the lineup. Virginia Tech right fielder Mike Kaminski is in the top 10 in the ACC in batting average hitting a shade below .400.

Intangibles Advantage: Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech had won eight games in a row until losing to Clemson on Sunday and blowing a lead in the ninth inning to William & Mary on Tuesday. The Hokies are a good road team, as they are 11-4 away from English Field. Miami has lost their last two weekend series. Miami has gotten contributions from different players in the lineup but are still looking for that one person to put the team on his back.

Justin Antweil

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...