Annual UM student and faculty exhibition at the Lowe gets attendees thinking

Valeria Rocchiccioli sitting in her sculpture "Bug in the Chlorophyll Shower".  Juror's Best in Show "Bug in Chlorophyll Shower".  ELIZABETH POTI//HURRICANE STAFF

Valeria Rocchiccioli sitting in her sculpture "Bug in the Chlorophyll Shower". Juror's Best in Show "Bug in Chlorophyll Shower". ELIZABETH POTI//HURRICANE STAFF

For photographer Carsten Meier and many student artists, this past Friday was an excellent evening at the Lowe Museum’s student art exhibit and preview.

Meier, a UM assistant professor and experienced photographer, delivered a thought-provoking lecture to debut his exhibit “Naturell” to the Lowe and to the many art lovers in attendance. An awards ceremony honoring the outstanding artists on exhibit followed. Attendees were also allowed a walk-through of the exposition.

“Spooky things happen in nature,” Meier said when asked why his photography took a turn for the narrative. His work, combining collage, assemblage and nature, seeks to create his own reality through digital editing.

“Meier’s work focuses on the individual’s perception of nature and how the act of seeing a photograph establishes a transitory thread between the viewer and the environment depicted,” said Elizabeth Amore, the media contact at the Lowe Museum.

“We are moving on as photographers into storytellers,” Meier said. He said that his work was only an attempt to make nature more beautiful.

Later, awards were presented to students who demonstrated exemplary performance in different areas of their art study. The viewers were then allowed to roam freely through the exhibit and chat with the artists about their work.

“It was just a fun experiment that turned out to be really cool,” said Hamad Almousa, a student whose piece “Look Into My World” merited the Dr. Marion F. Jefferson Award. “It allowed me to use mirrors in ways we don’t usually use them.”

If You Go

What: UM Student/Carsten Meier exhibit

When: April 18 – June 14, 2009

Where: Lowe Art Museum

and

What: Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

When: May 14 – June 14, 2009

Where: Lowe Art Museum

For more information, visit the Lowe online at www.lowemuseum.org for a full calendar of upcoming events.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...