Students to ‘hug the lake’ on Wednesday

HUG IT OUT: Students gathered on Earth Day 2008 to "Hug the Lake." Random Acts of Kindness will again host the event on Lake Osceola on Wednesday. HILARY SAUNDERS // Hurricane Staff

You’ve seen them around campus, the people carrying signs with inspirational phrases, giving you a huge smile and often a warm hug. This Wednesday, Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) is inviting you to pay those hugs forward to the entirety of Lake Osceola.

Wednesday is Earth Day, and to celebrate RAK is sponsoring the third annual “Hug the Lake” in conjunction with other eco-friendly events being held to promote a greener world.

“The whole idea behind Hug the Lake is to appreciate our little campus and in turn the big world around us,” said Carol Perry, a past RAK president. “Coordinating it with Earth Day seemed like the perfect way to juxtapose the two and remind ourselves how lucky we are to live here.”

This year, junior Kemy Joseph, the current president of RAK, plans on making this the biggest Hug the Lake ever.

“People ask why we do Hug the Lake, and the answer is this,” Joseph said. “We do it because we love giving hugs and bringing people together and Hug the Lake lets us do both on a big scale while showing our appreciation to the earth.”

If you go

Who: Random Acts of Kindness
What: “Hug the Lake” celebration
Where: Around Lake Osceola
When: Wednesday, April 22; 12:05 p.m.-12:10 p.m.

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...