Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

The University of Miami women’s track and field team took fifth, while the men finished ninth, at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Cobb Stadium this past weekend.

Senior Murielle Ahoure won both the 100 and 200-meter dashes and junior Kristy Whyte crossed the line third in the 100 meters. Junior Deandra Doyley nabbed second in the long jump and fourth in the triple jump. Sophomore Tameka Jameson earned a regional qualifying time with a fourth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles.

Junior Cory Nelms was runner up in the 110-meter hurdles for the men.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

University of Miami signee Durand Scott, a 6’5″ shooting guard from New York City, scored six points with two assists for the Black team as it won 110-103 at the 2009 Jordan Brand Classic High School Boys All-Star Game Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Sophomore forward Shenise Johnson was invited to the USA Basketball Complex in Colorado Springs, Colo., to participate in the U-19 USA National Team Trials, May 14-17. The U-19 National Team will be participating in this year’s FIBA World Championship, held in Bangkok, Thailand, July 23-Aug. 2.

Johnson was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and was an honorable mention for the All-ACC Team. She was the team leader in scoring (12.8 ppg), free throw percentage (.825), rebounding (7.1 rpg), assists (4.1 apg), steals (2.7 spg) and blocks (1.0 bpg) last season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...