Honor society Alpha Lambda Delta initiates record number of students

ald-color2

The Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, an honor society that recognizes high-achieving freshmen at the University of Miami, inducted a chapter-record 417 freshmen on March 31.

“When the program first came to Miami it was not nearly as active as it is now,” said Dayle Wilson, assistant dean of students and the chapter advisor. “But over the years, we’ve progressively gotten more involved in the university and membership increases more and more by the year.”

Alpha Lambda Delta, which celebrates its 85th anniversary in 2009, has strict requirements for membership. Freshman must have a 3.5 grade point average or better and maintain that average throughout their college years in order to retain membership.

Despite the firm requirements, most students who are initiated into the organization as freshmen remain part of the honor society throughout their college careers.

“With such requirements, you’re going to see some drop out, but generally students maintain the GPA throughout all of college,” Wilson said. “Students who work at a level this high are greatly motivated and want to be part of this group. That is what the organization is all about.”

Members of the organization are inducted as freshman and become more involved as sophomores participating in organizational activities. Juniors have scholarship opportunities, while seniors with the highest GPA are recognized at the end of the year.

Daniela Martinez, a sophomore and the president of Alpha Lambda Delta, has worked to increase membership in the organization.

“We did a lot this past year to increase awareness of the organization,” Martinez said. “We went to Canefest, distributed pamphlets at the residence halls and designed new shirts to get our name out there and attract freshmen.”

Like most student organizations around campus, Alpha Lambda Delta partakes in various community service activities and social events.

“We have regular meetings, do quite a bit of community service and have social events for members throughout the year,” Martinez said. “This past year alone we supported two children at a school in Guatemala and distributed Christmas cards for those in need around the holidays.”

Mike Pindelski

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...