Frost songwriting ensemble performs at Books & Books

folku3tt

TANYA THOMPSON // Assistant Photo Editor

The Frost School of Music songwriting ensemble performed at Books & Books in Coral Gables Wednesday night. The class, listed as MSJ 139 and taught by Professor Rey Sanchez, was based around early American folk music such as country and bluegrass. Nine student songwriters and two accompanying student musicians performed cover songs and original tunes inspired by those studied in class.

Alessandrea Levy, a sophomore majoring in jazz vocal performance, played bass for the ensemble. She said, “It’s fun for me because I’m learning how to write in different styles.”

Arielle Galante, a junior majoring in harp performance, translated what she learned to her instrument on her original hillbilly-style song called “Burn Them in the Bathroom Sink.” “I tried to imitate a banjo on the harp,” she said, with “fast licks with my right and in between the boom-chk boom-chk in the left hand.”

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...