Cane Records hosts release party for Kyle Crossland

Recording artisy Kyle Crossland will release his self-titled first album on Cane Records Friday night at the MAC building Friday night beginning at 8:30 p.m.

Booze, bites, and bouncy pop-rock tunes will fill the MAC Building this Friday night as Cane Records throws a release party for their newest recording artist, Kyle Crossland. The event, held at 5960 SW 57th Ave., across from the University Village, will start at 8:30 p.m.

Much more than a little jam, the massive party will have free food and drinks, free hair, makeup and face-painting from the Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology (a Paul Mitchell partner school), and art on display from students at the Art Institute. Of course, Crossland will perform songs from his eponymous debut EP and sign copies for anyone who purchases a disc. Additionally, Bridget & Luke and DJ Ordep of WVUM will each play a set.

Cane Records, the student-run record label of the University of Miami, signed Crossland in the middle of the fall 2008 semester.

“It happened overnight,” said Jessie Allen, the president of Cane Records.

Allen, a junior majoring in music business, explained the process of creating Crossland’s EP as well as the role of the record company.

“It took about a month to record, produce, and do the whole EP,” she said. Cane Records not only supervised those aspects, but also managed the distribution of albums, marketing tactics, merchandizing and creation of a Web site.

Crossland, a junior studying music business and classical vocal performance, has been singing for as long as he can remember.

“I found my dad’s guitar in high school and started writing songs,” he said.

Allen described Crossland’s sound as “a weird little fusion of heavier beach-rock-jam-happy music.”

Inspired by the Beach Boys, Nick Drake, Donavon Frankenreiter, and various jam bands, Crossland wrote all of the songs on his EP in UM dorms.

“The song ‘Irony’ was written under the bridge between the towers,” he laughed.

As the release party draws nearer, Crossland said he’s feeling “a worried kind of stoked.”

“I’m really excited to see how things come together and I wanna put on a good show,” he said.

If You Go

Who: Kyle Crossland

What: Cane Records Release Party

When: Friday, April 17 at 8:30 p.m.

Where: MAC Building located at 5960 SW 57th Ave.

Cost: Free

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...