Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Junior forward Dwayne Collins has elected to submit his name for the upcoming NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent in order to retain the option of returning to the Hurricanes next season.

Collins, a 6’8″ forward from Miami, was the team’s second-leading scorer with 10.6 points per game. He added a team-high 7.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game.

Underclassmen who declare for the draft have until June 15 to remove their name and maintain college eligibility. The NBA Draft is scheduled for June 25.

TRACK/FIELD

With a time of 44.39 seconds, seniors Murielle Ahoure and Krista Simkins, junior Kristy Whyte and sophomore Charlene Fuller led the women’s 4×100 relay as the first collegiate team to finish and third overall and earned a regional qualifying time at the Miami Elite Invitational this past weekend at Cobb Stadium.

Whyte, Simkins, Ahoure and sophomore Tameka Jameson were the first collegiate team to finish in the 4×400 relay, trailing only the Bahamian team, and their time of 3:37.51 notched a regional qualifying time.

The men’s ACC 60-meter hurdle champion, junior Cory Nelms, reached the regional qualifying time in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.21.

Sophomore Takecia Jameson became the third different Hurricane to reach a regional qualifying time in the 400-meter hurdles with her third-place performance of 1:00.27. She joins her sister Tameka and sophomore Ti’erra Brown as those who are eligible to compete in the regional championships in May.

VOLLEYBALL

The women’s volleyball team finished 1-4 on Saturday at Florida Gym in its last indoor event of the spring season.

Florida State defeated the Hurricanes 2-0 (25-19, 25-23). The host Gators also took a match 2-0 (25-23, 25-22) during the morning session. Miami beat Florida International 2-0 (25-19, 25-21) for its sole win. Florida outlasted the Canes 2-1 (25-17, 25-17, 13-15), while the Seminoles handled Miami in two sets, 2-0 (25-17, 25-23) in the afternoon session.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...