Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Junior forward Dwayne Collins has elected to submit his name for the upcoming NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent in order to retain the option of returning to the Hurricanes next season.

Collins, a 6’8″ forward from Miami, was the team’s second-leading scorer with 10.6 points per game. He added a team-high 7.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game.

Underclassmen who declare for the draft have until June 15 to remove their name and maintain college eligibility. The NBA Draft is scheduled for June 25.

TRACK/FIELD

With a time of 44.39 seconds, seniors Murielle Ahoure and Krista Simkins, junior Kristy Whyte and sophomore Charlene Fuller led the women’s 4×100 relay as the first collegiate team to finish and third overall and earned a regional qualifying time at the Miami Elite Invitational this past weekend at Cobb Stadium.

Whyte, Simkins, Ahoure and sophomore Tameka Jameson were the first collegiate team to finish in the 4×400 relay, trailing only the Bahamian team, and their time of 3:37.51 notched a regional qualifying time.

The men’s ACC 60-meter hurdle champion, junior Cory Nelms, reached the regional qualifying time in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.21.

Sophomore Takecia Jameson became the third different Hurricane to reach a regional qualifying time in the 400-meter hurdles with her third-place performance of 1:00.27. She joins her sister Tameka and sophomore Ti’erra Brown as those who are eligible to compete in the regional championships in May.

VOLLEYBALL

The women’s volleyball team finished 1-4 on Saturday at Florida Gym in its last indoor event of the spring season.

Florida State defeated the Hurricanes 2-0 (25-19, 25-23). The host Gators also took a match 2-0 (25-23, 25-22) during the morning session. Miami beat Florida International 2-0 (25-19, 25-21) for its sole win. Florida outlasted the Canes 2-1 (25-17, 25-17, 13-15), while the Seminoles handled Miami in two sets, 2-0 (25-17, 25-23) in the afternoon session.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...