Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Junior forward Dwayne Collins has elected to submit his name for the upcoming NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent in order to retain the option of returning to the Hurricanes next season.

Collins, a 6’8″ forward from Miami, was the team’s second-leading scorer with 10.6 points per game. He added a team-high 7.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game.

Underclassmen who declare for the draft have until June 15 to remove their name and maintain college eligibility. The NBA Draft is scheduled for June 25.

TRACK/FIELD

With a time of 44.39 seconds, seniors Murielle Ahoure and Krista Simkins, junior Kristy Whyte and sophomore Charlene Fuller led the women’s 4×100 relay as the first collegiate team to finish and third overall and earned a regional qualifying time at the Miami Elite Invitational this past weekend at Cobb Stadium.

Whyte, Simkins, Ahoure and sophomore Tameka Jameson were the first collegiate team to finish in the 4×400 relay, trailing only the Bahamian team, and their time of 3:37.51 notched a regional qualifying time.

The men’s ACC 60-meter hurdle champion, junior Cory Nelms, reached the regional qualifying time in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.21.

Sophomore Takecia Jameson became the third different Hurricane to reach a regional qualifying time in the 400-meter hurdles with her third-place performance of 1:00.27. She joins her sister Tameka and sophomore Ti’erra Brown as those who are eligible to compete in the regional championships in May.

VOLLEYBALL

The women’s volleyball team finished 1-4 on Saturday at Florida Gym in its last indoor event of the spring season.

Florida State defeated the Hurricanes 2-0 (25-19, 25-23). The host Gators also took a match 2-0 (25-23, 25-22) during the morning session. Miami beat Florida International 2-0 (25-19, 25-21) for its sole win. Florida outlasted the Canes 2-1 (25-17, 25-17, 13-15), while the Seminoles handled Miami in two sets, 2-0 (25-17, 25-23) in the afternoon session.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...