RSMAS Beat Notebook: April 12

The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science along with the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust conducted the Inaugural Florida Keys Spring Bonefish Population Census on Tuesday. It was conducted to monitor year-to-year population changes and the long-term sustainability of the sport fish. The data collected from the first spring census conducted this year complements the annual census conducted in the fall for the last six years.

Scientists from the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, in collaboration with scientists from the University of Oxford, have analyzed data on the 8.0 magnitude earthquake that occured Aug. 16, 2007, in Pisco, Peru, and its impact on regional topography. The event killed 595 people while another 318 remain missing. Using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar geodetic data and teleseismic data, the scientists were able to use satellite images to identify details of this major plate boundary event. The study was published in the Geophysical Journal International.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...