RSMAS Beat Notebook: April 12

The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science along with the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust conducted the Inaugural Florida Keys Spring Bonefish Population Census on Tuesday. It was conducted to monitor year-to-year population changes and the long-term sustainability of the sport fish. The data collected from the first spring census conducted this year complements the annual census conducted in the fall for the last six years.

Scientists from the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, in collaboration with scientists from the University of Oxford, have analyzed data on the 8.0 magnitude earthquake that occured Aug. 16, 2007, in Pisco, Peru, and its impact on regional topography. The event killed 595 people while another 318 remain missing. Using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar geodetic data and teleseismic data, the scientists were able to use satellite images to identify details of this major plate boundary event. The study was published in the Geophysical Journal International.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...