Our opinion: McClinton deserving of any honor UM can bestow

With all the Ibis Ride hubbub last week, we didn’t get a chance to tip our hat to Jack McClinton, who was tapped by Iron Arrow Tuesday evening. While some people hate the jackets and drums, it still is the highest honor attained on campus and there’s no person on campus who deserves the nod more than the senior guard from Baltimore.

You may be asking what’s the big deal about McClinton? Miami has had plenty of great competitors walk through the Hecht Athletic Center doors, what makes him any more special? While it’s true that many athletes have attended UM, McClinton was literally and figuratively a game-changer. He took basketball from an afterthought to a priority in student’s minds, something impossible to think of just a few years ago. While there’s still so much work to do, McClinton is the reason Canes fans even know what March Madness is.

But that’s not all. At a school that was formally known as “Thug U,” McClinton is stellar on the court and in the classroom. His repeat appointment to the All-ACC first team is only bested by his three appearances on the All-ACC Academic team.

The problem McClinton might face is the same problem he’s helped fix. Basketball doesn’t share the limelight with football and baseball, and McClinton risks being lost in the fray as the years press on. Hall of Famer Rick Barry attended Miami and even had his number retired, but is often forgotten in the discussion of all-time great Canes. Miami must take steps to make sure that doesn’t happen to McClinton. Tap him into Iron Arrow, retire his number, even give him tenure, but don’t let this great fade away.

Editorial Board

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...