Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Criticism of student death coverage

We as the UM community have had an unfortunate semester due to the loss of two bright and gifted students. I knew both Scott Monat and Michael Anderson. However, I find The Miami Hurricane’s coverage of both of their passings to be atrocious. When Scott died, incorrect information was posted about his death on the Web site. I’m just glad the version posted online didn’t make it to print. With Michael’s passing, I’m angry the Hurricane could not even provide an entire full page article. Actually, I would have been able to forgive the full-page article for one photo of Michael. Was it not possible to find even one photo of him on Facebook? How about a quote from one of his friends? The cancellation of the Ibis Ride received more coverage than passing of Mike. The Ibis Ride article took up almost the entire page while the article on Mike received just a few paragraphs on the right-hand column. On the Web site, there is a listing underneath the article about what might cause cardiac failure and it specifically lists illegal drugs such as cocaine. This makes it sound like drugs caused Mike’s death, which to my knowledge, does not seem to be the case. Hopefully, the Hurricane will never have to write about a student death again. But in the unfortunate case that it does, I hope it does with more class and respect than it has done over the last few months.

-Aaron Esman
Sophomore

Ed. Note: The Miami Hurricane does as much as possible to report as quickly and as accurately as possible on student deaths. There were no inaccuracies in the breaking news story on Scott Monat’s death; a clarification was necessary in regards to his year in school and that clarification that was made well before the story went to print. The Miami Hurricane sought out friends, photos and additional information on Anderson within the constraints of a deadline, and thought it prudent to publish what was available to inform the community, even though all of the information we would have liked was unavailable. The online version of the Anderson story features multiple reasons for cardiac arrest in men under the age of 35, one of which is illicit drug use. In no way does the info box highlight one possible cause of the cardiac arrest.

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...