Honor Council prepares for Academic Integrity Week to raise awareness of University Honor Code

The Undergraduate Honor Council is hosting Academic Integrity Week from Monday through Thursday to help raise awareness of ethics and the University Honor Code.

“The Honor Council not only has a practical use, it has a symbolic significance as well,” said Ricardo Hall, the dean of students. “The Honor Code not only exists, but it lives and that’s what the Honor Council is trying to convey with Academic Integrity Week.”

The 29-member student-run council investigates complaints, determines the facts in a given case and, upon finding a violation of the code, assesses appropriate penalties.

Sessions are planned every day, highlighted by an open forum Wednesday night featuring Hall, U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, School of Business Dean Barbara Kahn,  Kenneth Goodman of UM’s ethics programs and Chris Doell of the varsity athletic department. The panelists will also take questions from the audience.

“We’re just trying to get our name out there and hope to get good attendance,” said Rachel Russo, the co-chair of Academic Integrity Week.

Dayle Wilson, assistant dean of students, said the events are important to all students.

“The majority of what we’re trying to do here is establish the culture of Miami’s Honor Code and how relevant it is to the culture around campus,” Wilson said. “We’re providing all kinds of opportunities for students to get know the Honor Code around campus and this week will enhance the reputation of the university.”

Wilson added the fact that “the entire week will be totally run by students is a major plus.”

“Research shows students respond to their peers and what better way to spread the University Honor Code than programs developed by a council led by student peers?” she said.

Schedule of Events
·       Monday:  Don’t Stake Your Degree – information on consequences for violating the code, all day on the UC Green.
·       Tuesday: Academic Resource Fair – information, food, drinks and prizes at the Hecht Residential College, 5 to 7 p.m.
·       Wednesday: Ethics and Integrity Forum – discussion and Q&A in the Law School Student Lounge, 7 to 8 p.m.
·       Thursday: Sign the Code – information, food and prizes on the UC Patio, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Mike Pindelski

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...