‘Duplicity’ is a ton of fun despite Roberts

Duplicity, writer-director Tony Gilroy’s first movie since 2007’s Michael Clayton, takes all the boardroom intrigue of Clayton and adds a sense of humor. It isn’t hard to make a decent movie when Clive Owen and Tom Wilkinson are involved and Gilroy more than succeeds with the witty, enjoyable Duplicity.

Owen and Julia Roberts star as two former secret agents turned corporate. Employed by two rival multinational corporations, they team up to dupe both companies and make $40 million in the process.

Clive Owen is everything a leading man should be: charismatic, engaging and unbelievably sexy. Roberts, however, does not fare as well as her costar, choosing instead to pout and snipe her way through the film. Wilkinson and Paul Giamatti fare far better than Roberts, and their opening scene, a no-holds-barred fistfight on an airport tarmac, is the funniest bit in the film. Supporting players like the inimitable Denis O’Hare and Tom McCarthy also save Duplicity from being sunk by Roberts’ bad acting.

While the pacing may seem slow at times and the numerous flashbacks may be a bit confusing to some, Duplicity is simply a ton of fun. It may not appeal to mainstream audiences, but for those who are willing to invest some time and thought in the film, the payoff is estimable.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...