V's Take

Dear V: Are physical enhancements defrauding my boyfriend?

My new boyfriend is really cute, and quite frankly, so am I – but not really. I have had several unsightly moles removed from my face, rhinoplasty, hair straightening, orthodontic work, teeth whitening and laser hair-removal. If not for the treatments, I would be unattractive. When my boyfriend tells me he thinks that I am adorable, I feel like I am playing a trick on him. Am I? I wonder if it is my obligation to confess that I am a buck-toothed, moley girl with a big schnoz, a mustache and thick glasses. What should I reveal to him?

-Fixed-upper

Dear Fixed-upper,

Beauty is in the Lasik-corrected eye of the beholder, my friend. The real trick, however, is actually getting beheld. Attraction is the first step toward finding a mate. We notice those who we find sexy. And then we get to know them and like them based on their inner beauty. In your case, “sexy” means a clear complexion, a straight nasal bridge, minimal body hair and a big, bright smile.

Ever since the first caveman fantasized about the cavewoman he etched on the cave wall, there have been standards for beauty. While Ms. Cavewoman might not have had access to a hair salon and a great plastic surgeon, I guarantee that there were things that she did to get herself noticed (puffing out her chest: the boob job of yesteryear). What’s hot and what’s not has certainly changed over the years, especially since now there are so many fast, easy ways to combat your more unfavorable genes.

Don’t be ashamed of your cosmetic touchups. Didn’t you pursue all of these procedures because you were ashamed of your moles, hair, teeth, and nose in the first place? Cosmetic procedures exist not to enhance yourself, but to enhance your confidence. You already admit that you are cute. Your cute face should definitely match your cute attitude! Granted, there is such thing as being over-enhanced, but what you admit to having had done seems quite routine and minor. You know you’re hot, and you are! So you’re not fooling anyone. Your boyfriend is paying you a compliment, so take it!

Keep your beauty secrets to yourself, hold your head high, and don’t sweat it.

-Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...