Baseball

Canes dropped by Clemson

TYLER SMITH // THE TIGER     

TIGER STYLE: Clemson third baseman Matt Sanders slides into home plate after a wild pitch from Hurricanes pitcher Daniel Miranda. Miami lost Sunday’s game, 9-6, and the series to the Tigers. TYLER SMITH // THE TIGER

For just the second time in eight weekend matchups this year, the Canes lost a series. The University of Miami dropped the final two games of a three-game set against the Clemson Tigers at Doug Kingsmore Stadium in South Carolina.

The Hurricanes (25-10, 11-7) lost for the first time in 11 day games this season on Sunday afternoon, while Clemson (23-12, 11-7) pounded out 38 hits over the weekend.

The Canes played a doubleheader Saturday because rain postponed Friday night’s action.

In game one, sophomore starter Chris Hernandez picked up his second win in as many outings, hurling seven innings while allowing five runs, striking out four and walking none. He scattered 12 hits but only two of them went for extra bases.

Sophomore catcher Yasmani Grandal and junior first baseman Jason Hagerty each hit solo home runs, but the big blast came off the bat of senior right fielder Dave DiNatale, as he slugged a three-run shot that put the Canes up for good and secured a 12-8 victory. It was the Canes 18th come-from-behind victory of the season.

In the game on Saturday night, junior starter David Gutierrez struggled right from the beginning. For the second consecutive start, he gave up four runs in the first inning. Gutierrez gave up a career-high six earned runs. That would be more than enough for the Tigers as they won game two by a score of 9-1.

Clemson starter and freshman left hander Chris Dwyer was phenomenal. He pitched a complete game two-hitter while striking out a career-high 10. He tossed 129 pitches in the effort and only allowed two Hurricane batters to advance past second base.

The Canes lost the rubber game Sunday afternoon, 9-6. Sophomore starter Iden Nazario suffered the first loss of his Hurricane career, as he lasted only 2.2 innings, serving up six runs on six hits.

Miami trailed by three with two outs in the ninth inning. Facing the vulnerable Clemson bullpen, they put together a rally but ultimately came up short. With two outs and no men on base, junior left fielder Chris Herrmann legged out an infield single. Grandal followed by reaching base on a four pitch walk, before freshman third baseman Harold Martinez hit a single through the right side to load the bases for designated hitter Ted Blackman. The freshman, representing the go-ahead run, popped up to the shortstop on the first pitch he saw, ending the game.

During the series, Hagerty extended his hitting streak to 12 games. This ties the longest hitting streak by a UM player this year. Center fielder Nathan Melendres had a 12 game hit streak to start the season.

Miami’s next game is on Tuesday at 6 p.m. against FAU. UM has already beaten FAU twice this year. That game can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...