Basketball

Dwayne Collins to enter name in NBA Draft, will not hire agent

Junior forward Dwayne Collins will enter his name in the 2009 NBA Draft, testing the waters of professional basketball. However, he will not hire an agent, meaning that he can return to the Hurricanes for his senior season if he chooses.

“This is a chance for Dwayne to get feedback on his game from general managers and NBA scouts on what he needs to do to have an opportunity to play professional basketball,” head coach Frank Haith said in a statement released by the athletic department. “I support Dwayne’s decision to test the waters.”

Collins became Miami’s reliable interior threat last season, scoring 10.6 points per game, good for second on the squad. He was fifth in the ACC with 3.1 offensive rebounds per game.

“I talked to my family and Coach Haith and let them know I want to take this opportunity,” Collins said in the statement. “I’ll put my name in and see what happens, and make a decision from there.”

The NBA Draft is scheduled to take place on June 25.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...