Basketball

Dwayne Collins to enter name in NBA Draft, will not hire agent

Junior forward Dwayne Collins will enter his name in the 2009 NBA Draft, testing the waters of professional basketball. However, he will not hire an agent, meaning that he can return to the Hurricanes for his senior season if he chooses.

“This is a chance for Dwayne to get feedback on his game from general managers and NBA scouts on what he needs to do to have an opportunity to play professional basketball,” head coach Frank Haith said in a statement released by the athletic department. “I support Dwayne’s decision to test the waters.”

Collins became Miami’s reliable interior threat last season, scoring 10.6 points per game, good for second on the squad. He was fifth in the ACC with 3.1 offensive rebounds per game.

“I talked to my family and Coach Haith and let them know I want to take this opportunity,” Collins said in the statement. “I’ll put my name in and see what happens, and make a decision from there.”

The NBA Draft is scheduled to take place on June 25.

Matthew Bunch

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...