Spring 2009 tappees welcomed into Iron Arrow; McClinton forced to wait due to 3-point championship WITH TAPPEE LIST

The jackets were out and about again last week, as students were tapped for Iron Arrow, the University of Miami’s highest honor. However, one tappee had to wait a little longer than most.

Senior guard Jack McClinton was tapped Tuesday evening, after other spring 2009 tappees, because he was participating in the 21st Annual State Farm 3-Point Championship in Detroit, a competition he won.

McClinton was the only player named to the All-ACC team and the All-ACC Academic team in 2008, and is again the only All-ACC player in 2009 to earn academic honors. A transfer from Siena, McClinton set the ACC’s record for 3-point percentage at .443 and led Miami to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001-2002 in 2008.

McClinton is the second athlete tapped into the honor society this academic year, as junior shortstop Ryan Jackson was selected last fall.

According to the calendar on Iron Arrow’s Web site, initiations are set to take place on the weekend of April 18 and 19. The Iron Arrow Honor Society was founded at the University of Miami in 1926 and is the highest honor attainable at the university. Iron Arrow is based on the traditions of the Seminole Indians, and the society recognizes individuals in the University of Miami community who display love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

-Matthew Bunch and Pravin Patel

THE FULL LIST OF SPRING 2009 TAPEES

Richard Burton
Wayne Chaplin
Daisy Ciener
Mary Coombs
Jenny Denk
Josefina Farra
Ricardo Fernandez
Megha Garg
William Hagen
Kelly Jackson
Pamela Jackson
Josh Knight
Jack McClinton
Danay Morales
Sue O’Malley
Marissa Orenstein
Sagar Patel
Pravin Patel
Michelle-Marie Pena
Michael Pieciak
Tauna Rankin
Alex Schimel
Edna Shalala
Sabrina Solomon
Brittany Tedeschi
Michael Werner
David Wilson

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...