Spring 2009 tappees welcomed into Iron Arrow; McClinton forced to wait due to 3-point championship WITH TAPPEE LIST

The jackets were out and about again last week, as students were tapped for Iron Arrow, the University of Miami’s highest honor. However, one tappee had to wait a little longer than most.

Senior guard Jack McClinton was tapped Tuesday evening, after other spring 2009 tappees, because he was participating in the 21st Annual State Farm 3-Point Championship in Detroit, a competition he won.

McClinton was the only player named to the All-ACC team and the All-ACC Academic team in 2008, and is again the only All-ACC player in 2009 to earn academic honors. A transfer from Siena, McClinton set the ACC’s record for 3-point percentage at .443 and led Miami to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001-2002 in 2008.

McClinton is the second athlete tapped into the honor society this academic year, as junior shortstop Ryan Jackson was selected last fall.

According to the calendar on Iron Arrow’s Web site, initiations are set to take place on the weekend of April 18 and 19. The Iron Arrow Honor Society was founded at the University of Miami in 1926 and is the highest honor attainable at the university. Iron Arrow is based on the traditions of the Seminole Indians, and the society recognizes individuals in the University of Miami community who display love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

-Matthew Bunch and Pravin Patel

THE FULL LIST OF SPRING 2009 TAPEES

Richard Burton
Wayne Chaplin
Daisy Ciener
Mary Coombs
Jenny Denk
Josefina Farra
Ricardo Fernandez
Megha Garg
William Hagen
Kelly Jackson
Pamela Jackson
Josh Knight
Jack McClinton
Danay Morales
Sue O’Malley
Marissa Orenstein
Sagar Patel
Pravin Patel
Michelle-Marie Pena
Michael Pieciak
Tauna Rankin
Alex Schimel
Edna Shalala
Sabrina Solomon
Brittany Tedeschi
Michael Werner
David Wilson

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...