Sophomore Michael Anderson, 20, dies while studying abroad

Michael Anderson, a 20-year-old University of Miami sophomore majoring in finance, died Wednesday in Sydney, Australia, according to an official university statement made this afternoon.

Anderson, a native of Scottsdale, Ariz., was studying abroad for the semester at the University of Technology in Sydney. Patricia A. Whitely told The Miami Hurricane this morning that Anderson died of cardiac arrest.

“The University of Miami community mourns the tragic loss of one our students, Michael Anderson. Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael’s family and friends, and we will do everything possible to help them during this difficult time,” said the statement, sent via e-mail by Karla V. Hernandez, director of Media Relations.

Anderson was studying in UM’s School of Business.

Linda Neider, the vice dean of Undergraduate Business, said that Anderson shared with his University of Miami Experience course instructor that he “particularly enjoyed the fact that he had met friends from around the world during his first year, and loved the international flavor of many Florida locales such as South Beach.”

“Although he was a finance major, Michael noted that his parents, two successful entrepreneurs, had a major impact on his life and he thought he might someday follow in their footsteps,” Neider said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane. “Needless to say, he will be sorely missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him.”

Six other UM students are currently studying at UT Sydney, according to the university statement.

Anderson is the second University of Miami student to pass away while studying abroad this year. Scott Jared Monat, a second-year neurobiology major, died in early March while studying abroad at the National University of Singapore. The cause of death has yet to be released by the police in Singapore.

The statement added that Anderson was a gifted tennis player and student leader in high school.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...