Baseball

Matchups: Miami vs. Clemson

Starting Pitching         Advantage: Even

After being dropped down in the rotation last weekend, Chris Hernandez is being moved back up this weekend and will pitch Friday night. Hernandez had his best outing of the season last weekend, as he tied a career high by striking out 11 FSU hitters. His command was pinpoint, and his cutter was his dominant pitch. The last time Hernandez faced Clemson was in the ACC tournament where he pitched eight scoreless innings while striking out 10, surrendering no walks. Sophomore Iden Nazario continues to impress on Sundays as he will look to go 5-0. As a  team, Clemson has the second best ERA in the ACC. They have three solid starters in Casey Harman, Graham Stoneburne and Chris Dwyer.

Bullpen                        Advantage: Miami

The Miami bullpen has endured some hiccups lately and the bridge to closer Kyle Bellamy has not been very sturdy. But Bellamy has been lights out. He leads the ACC with nine saves. Six of those saves have been for more than one inning of work. Clemson’s Achilles heel all season long has been its bullpen. They have a closer by committee and have lost four times when leading after eight innings.

Outfield                      Advantage: Miami

All three Tiger outfielders are batting below .280. Miami centerfielder Nathan Melendres is hitting .337 during games played on weekends. Junior Chris Herrmann and senior Dave DiNatale are two of seven Canes to drive in at least 20 runs.

Infield                         Advantage: Miami

Corner infielders Harold Martinez and Jason Hagerty each come into the weekend riding nine-game hitting streaks. Martinez, a freshman, had just two home runs in his first 104 at bats, but now has three over his last 16. Hagerty, a junior, has seen his average rise .079 points in the past two weeks. He is second on the team in batting average (.333) behind junior second baseman Scott Lawson (.354). Clemson’s first baseman is the by far the Tigers best hitter. He has 12 RBIs in his last five games and is hitting .388, with 19 extra base hits.

Intangibles                  Advantage: Miami

Miami defeated Clemson in all four meetings last year. Of Miami’s 24 wins, 17 of them have been come-from-behind victories. On the other hand, Clemson has not been able to preserve leads or win the close ones. The Tigers have lost 10 games by three runs or less.

Justin Antweil

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...