Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Response to tour group editorial

Dear Hurricane Editorial Board,

Your recent opinion article on tour groups (Our opinion: Tour groups can make UM feel like zoo-niversity, April 6) brings up a lot of points that are critically unfair in your evaluation of the current tour system at the University of Miami. As a member of the President’s 100, I am aware of the overwhelming feeling that can sometimes be felt during tour times throughout the week. However, the fact that you feel as though our school turns into a zoo every time a tour is conducted is realistically unfair.

I assume that these feelings are recent as prospective students from all across the country have been visiting the past couple months in order to make sure that University of Miami is the best fit for them. For most visitors, their tour is the one and only interaction they will have with the University before making a decision which puts enormous pressure on us “P’s” to effectively deliver. As members, we volunteer our time to give these tours and unfortunately not all of us can be available each and every day to give a tour. This results in sometimes “large” tour groups that we must navigate across campus. I severely doubt any person facing an oncoming tour group as ever been forced “nearly into the lake.”

Although the school and us P’s would love to have smaller tour groups, it is unfeasible for us to do so. Yet, we still make a conscious effort to make the tours as personal as possible by answering any (and I do mean any) questions students and parents may have. On a personal note, I would welcome students showing school spirit towards tour groups so long as it was done in an appropriate and fashionable manner. It allows visitors to see that we are a multifaceted, entertaining student body. In fact, I encourage each student to approach a prospective student and offer to give your personal opinion on your experiences as a Cane. You never know what kind of an impact you might make on a prospective student’s college decision.

-Josh Chazen
Sophomore
Member, President’s 100

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...