Imaginative Ratatat poised to rock Revolution

edgeFor those looking for a good dance party following the end of the Winter Music Conference, Brooklyn duo Ratatat will bring their electronica beats to Ft. Lauderdale’s Revolution this Sunday night.

Skidmore College students Mike Stroud and Evan Mast began collaborating back in 2001 under the name Cherry. In 2004, Cherry became Ratatat, and the band released their debut album. Ratatat create their signature sound using only guitar, bass, synthesizer and occasionally vocal samples. Though neither of the duo’s members contribute to their recordings vocally, Ratatat released two volumes of remixes that placed their beats under the voices of Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, Jay-Z and other big names.

Their latest album, LP3, takes a slight departure from 2006’s Classics, with the band sounding more like an actual band than a synth-filled electro-rock outburst. Still, the beats are distinctly Ratatat, just a bit more imaginative and poppy.

After spending much of 2008 touring the globe, Ratatat returned to their native land to embark on a U.S. tour earlier this spring, including their upcoming dates in South Florida. Many stops on the tour have already sold out, including shows in Portland, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Austin.

Openers for the show include hip-hop artist Despot and San Francisco-based band Tussle. The evening is set to begin at 7 p.m.

If You Go:

What: Instrumental electronica duo Ratatat

When: April 12 at 7 p.m.

Where: Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale (200 W. Broward Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312)

Cost: $17 (before fees) at ticketmaster.com

Lauren Shepherd

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...