Imaginative Ratatat poised to rock Revolution

edgeFor those looking for a good dance party following the end of the Winter Music Conference, Brooklyn duo Ratatat will bring their electronica beats to Ft. Lauderdale’s Revolution this Sunday night.

Skidmore College students Mike Stroud and Evan Mast began collaborating back in 2001 under the name Cherry. In 2004, Cherry became Ratatat, and the band released their debut album. Ratatat create their signature sound using only guitar, bass, synthesizer and occasionally vocal samples. Though neither of the duo’s members contribute to their recordings vocally, Ratatat released two volumes of remixes that placed their beats under the voices of Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, Jay-Z and other big names.

Their latest album, LP3, takes a slight departure from 2006’s Classics, with the band sounding more like an actual band than a synth-filled electro-rock outburst. Still, the beats are distinctly Ratatat, just a bit more imaginative and poppy.

After spending much of 2008 touring the globe, Ratatat returned to their native land to embark on a U.S. tour earlier this spring, including their upcoming dates in South Florida. Many stops on the tour have already sold out, including shows in Portland, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Austin.

Openers for the show include hip-hop artist Despot and San Francisco-based band Tussle. The evening is set to begin at 7 p.m.

If You Go:

What: Instrumental electronica duo Ratatat

When: April 12 at 7 p.m.

Where: Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale (200 W. Broward Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312)

Cost: $17 (before fees) at ticketmaster.com

Lauren Shepherd

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...