Imaginative Ratatat poised to rock Revolution

edgeFor those looking for a good dance party following the end of the Winter Music Conference, Brooklyn duo Ratatat will bring their electronica beats to Ft. Lauderdale’s Revolution this Sunday night.

Skidmore College students Mike Stroud and Evan Mast began collaborating back in 2001 under the name Cherry. In 2004, Cherry became Ratatat, and the band released their debut album. Ratatat create their signature sound using only guitar, bass, synthesizer and occasionally vocal samples. Though neither of the duo’s members contribute to their recordings vocally, Ratatat released two volumes of remixes that placed their beats under the voices of Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, Jay-Z and other big names.

Their latest album, LP3, takes a slight departure from 2006’s Classics, with the band sounding more like an actual band than a synth-filled electro-rock outburst. Still, the beats are distinctly Ratatat, just a bit more imaginative and poppy.

After spending much of 2008 touring the globe, Ratatat returned to their native land to embark on a U.S. tour earlier this spring, including their upcoming dates in South Florida. Many stops on the tour have already sold out, including shows in Portland, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Austin.

Openers for the show include hip-hop artist Despot and San Francisco-based band Tussle. The evening is set to begin at 7 p.m.

If You Go:

What: Instrumental electronica duo Ratatat

When: April 12 at 7 p.m.

Where: Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale (200 W. Broward Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312)

Cost: $17 (before fees) at ticketmaster.com

Lauren Shepherd

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...