Imaginative Ratatat poised to rock Revolution

edgeFor those looking for a good dance party following the end of the Winter Music Conference, Brooklyn duo Ratatat will bring their electronica beats to Ft. Lauderdale’s Revolution this Sunday night.

Skidmore College students Mike Stroud and Evan Mast began collaborating back in 2001 under the name Cherry. In 2004, Cherry became Ratatat, and the band released their debut album. Ratatat create their signature sound using only guitar, bass, synthesizer and occasionally vocal samples. Though neither of the duo’s members contribute to their recordings vocally, Ratatat released two volumes of remixes that placed their beats under the voices of Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, Jay-Z and other big names.

Their latest album, LP3, takes a slight departure from 2006’s Classics, with the band sounding more like an actual band than a synth-filled electro-rock outburst. Still, the beats are distinctly Ratatat, just a bit more imaginative and poppy.

After spending much of 2008 touring the globe, Ratatat returned to their native land to embark on a U.S. tour earlier this spring, including their upcoming dates in South Florida. Many stops on the tour have already sold out, including shows in Portland, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Austin.

Openers for the show include hip-hop artist Despot and San Francisco-based band Tussle. The evening is set to begin at 7 p.m.

If You Go:

What: Instrumental electronica duo Ratatat

When: April 12 at 7 p.m.

Where: Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale (200 W. Broward Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312)

Cost: $17 (before fees) at ticketmaster.com

Lauren Shepherd

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...