Flight of the Conchords likes to rock the party, does so at BankUnited

flightWhoever said that Flight of the Conchords was New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a capella rap-funk-comedy folk duo certainly didn’t tell the fans who were in attendance at their BankUnited Center concert this past Tuesday.

To the audience members – ranging from preteen hipsters to middle-aged parents and everything in between – Flight of the Conchords were rock gods of the highest order. Every single thing that Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement said elicited delighted applause, passionate shrieks, and even a marriage proposal or two.

Flight of the Conchords developed a cult following after HBO began airing the eponymous television series in 2007. While the show chronicles their move to New York and their attempts to develop an American fan base, in real life, McKenzie and Clement are nearly entirely different people. Of course, they’re still ridiculously funny and almost painfully attractive.

An audience favorite was cellist Nigel – no last name given – who was dubbed “The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.” He accompanied the two on many songs during the latter half of the set. Other performances of “Jenny,” “Too Many Dicks On the Dance Floor” and “Bowie” were huge hits with the audience.

Cast member Kristen Schaal, who plays stalker-fan Mel on the show, was not as amusing, though. Her opening comedy routine lasted a bit too long, and while some bits were kind of funny, for the most part, it was just filler.

From the hilarious banter between songs and “sad lighting,” to the band’s declaration of commitment to social activism and support of mermaids – “anything Bono’s into, we’re into” – this concert was one not to be missed.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...