V's Take

Dear V: Why is ‘hooking up’ catching so many people?

What is with the whole “hooking up” thing? I just don’t understand it. Why does no one at UM want to have a girlfriend or be in a relationship? Sure, there is immediate gratification involved with hooking up – but it’s so random and gross. And usually someone gets hurt! Why do you think students UM especially are so into hooking up and not being in relationships? Is it the type of people that go to school here, or is this an epidemic all of us relationship-types should be aware of? It is very disheartening for all of us out there looking for love!

-Off the Hook

Dear Hook,

Ah, the U. There is no denying that our college experience is unique: the culture, the nightlife, the beach – the practically nude women that go parading down the street. The Miami lifestyle is the perfect recipe to quench the male libido. While I am not testifying for promiscuity, I ask why would a young gentleman go out of his way to buy a cow when there’s a variety of free milk traipsing around in stilettos?

So to answer your final question: UM would be an ideal place for the single “type.” In fact, a Forbes report gathered a bunch of info on the amount of youth, bars, job growth and local attractions and ranked Miami as the second-best U.S. city in which to be single. So go enjoy it!!

College is about educating yourself and figuring out what you want to do with your life. More often than not, it is easier to accomplish this without the responsibilities of a committed relationship. If you are focusing all of your energy into finding a relationship, change that. Divert your attention to your studies. Head off in a direction that suits you and your goals, then you can find someone to sit shotgun.

Moreover, going on a manhunt is not the way to wind up in a relationship. Guys find it more appealing and easier to respect a girl if she has her own life, into which he has to earn his way. Besides, being on the lookout for Mr. Right will leave you open to settling for anyone that comes your way. Keep your focus. Keep your standards. Keep the faith. You’ll be happier in the long run.

Best of Luck!
-V

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...