Baseball

Canes hold off Owls, win 8-7

baseball1ss

Nathan Melendres rounds the bases after a Florida Atlantic throwing error on Tuesday night. The Canes went on to win, 8-7. STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF.

Coming off a series victory over No. 23 Florida State last weekend, No. 5 Miami avoided a large early deficit, produced a four-run fifth and held on after a scare in the ninth for an 8-7 victory over Florida Atlantic Tuesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Starter Jason Santana (5-0) fanned a season-high six batters over six innings and allowed four runs, three earned, for the Hurricanes (24-8). Starter Brent Adheen (0-3) gave up four runs, three earned, on just two hits in four innings for the Owls (17-12).

“I felt good today, trying to get ahead of the hitters and keep the ball low with the way the wind was blowing,” Santana said. “I take what I get whether it’s midweek or weekend. A win’s a win. In the postseason you need more than three starters and that’s what I look forward to.”

Freshman Harold Martinez continued his hot hitting with a two-run double in the fifth, while junior Jason Hagerty went 2-for-3 with a walk, run and RBI. Both extended their hitting streaks to nine.

The two combined to go 15-for-29 with five homers, 13 RBI, 14 runs and 35 total bases in four games last week.

“I don’t try to think about that too much or put extra pressure on myself,” said Martinez about his base hit that barely stayed fair down the line. “I thought it was going to go foul.”

Closer Kyle Bellamy picked up his ninth save in 1.1 innings of work, but surrendered a two-run homer to Nick Criaris in the ninth to make the score 8-7. He then stranded runners at first and second by striking out the final two hitters.

“I think he probably just went out there with less focus. Sometimes with closers like that they’re used to going out there with the game on the line,” head coach Jim Morris said. “He got behind the hitters and that’s a tendency for a lot of closers to do that.”

Miami faces No. 20 Clemson (20-11, 9-6) for a three-game road series this weekend beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...