BREAKING NEWS: Ibis Ride canceled for remainder of semester

ibisride

According to an e-mail from the Dean of Students’ office, Ibis Ride service to Coconut Grove has been canceled for the remainder of the Spring 2009 semester.

“The Dean of Students Office issued this decision after receiving reports of serious violations of rules both on and around Ibis Ride shuttles to the Grove including disrespectful treatment of drivers and monitors, grossly intoxicated students, students getting sick on the shuttles, mob scenes at pick up and drop off points, insistence on boarding the shuttles without Cane Cards and sneaking non-students onto the shuttles,” the statement said.

Shuttle service has been in danger before. Last spring the Dean of Students office threatened to cancel service if behavior on the buses didn’t improve, but after a “Save our Ibis Ride” campaign, the program was renewed for the 2008-2009 academic year.

It’s unclear at this time whether the service will be restored for the 2009-2010 academic year. According to the statement, the Dean of Students office plans to work with Student Government to resolve the issues and resume it next fall.

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...