BREAKING NEWS: Ibis Ride canceled for remainder of semester

ibisride

According to an e-mail from the Dean of Students’ office, Ibis Ride service to Coconut Grove has been canceled for the remainder of the Spring 2009 semester.

“The Dean of Students Office issued this decision after receiving reports of serious violations of rules both on and around Ibis Ride shuttles to the Grove including disrespectful treatment of drivers and monitors, grossly intoxicated students, students getting sick on the shuttles, mob scenes at pick up and drop off points, insistence on boarding the shuttles without Cane Cards and sneaking non-students onto the shuttles,” the statement said.

Shuttle service has been in danger before. Last spring the Dean of Students office threatened to cancel service if behavior on the buses didn’t improve, but after a “Save our Ibis Ride” campaign, the program was renewed for the 2008-2009 academic year.

It’s unclear at this time whether the service will be restored for the 2009-2010 academic year. According to the statement, the Dean of Students office plans to work with Student Government to resolve the issues and resume it next fall.

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Matthew Bunch

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...