Irish debate champions defend Obama in contest with UM team

On Thursday night in front of a crowd of about 20 people, the University of Miami debate team slammed President Barack Obama in a competitive debate about Obama’s first 100 days in office. Their opponents for the contest, which was held in the School of Communication, were three Irish debate champions.

“I like Barack Obama, but he is not leading effectively; that is an unfortunate truth,” said Bill Gutek, a senior and member of the UM Debate team.

The UM team, represented by Gutek, junior Jonathan Raof and junior Caitlin Augustin, debated against an Irish team comprising Andrea Mulligan, David Hopkins and Jeremy Kinsella, who are on a national debate tour after winning the annual Irish Times Debate sponsored by the Irish Times newspaper of Dublin, Ireland.

Gutek discussed Obama’s “unrealistic projections for the economy.” He argued that Obama has contradicted himself, adding that Obama had “laudable goals,” but that the deficit cannot be reduced with Obama’s rate of spending.

Mulligan praised Obama’s ability to “bring politics to the people.”

“No one has been able to do this before and he should be commended,” Mulligan said.

While Irish debater Hopkins contested that the role of “perception” is very important for a president, UM debater Raof said that Obama’s domestic and international perception is “irrelevant” and that he has propagated a “campaign of rhetoric,” adding that Obama’s foreign policy has been “a real failure.”

The public voted the Irish team as the debate winners, while UM’s Jonathan Roaf was named the best debater.

Claire Arritola

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...