Tennis

Hurricanes sweep weekend matches, win streak hits nine

TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

With its final regular season match at 1 p.m. this Friday against host Maryland (4-15, 1-8), the fifth-ranked women’s tennis team is riding a nine-game winning streak after sweeping weekend matches against N.C. State and No. 34 Wake Forest.

On the season, Miami has now won eight matches by a score of 7-0.

The Hurricanes (20-3, 9-1) stand atop the ACC, which features six teams in the top 25.

“I think it’s probably one of the toughest conferences in the country,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I think it’s been real rewarding for myself so far and these kids.”

Miami won each singles and doubles match against the Demon Deacons (12-8, 3-5) on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center to wrap up its home schedule with a flawless 14-0 record.

“The girls play really well at home, but I think we feel very comfortable and I don’t think it’s easy coming to Miami and playing in these elements with the wind and the heat,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We definitely use that to our advantage.”

Fourth-ranked Julia Cohen won her 14th consecutive match, while fellow sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell extended their winning streaks to nine.

“We’ve been keeping things real simple with Miami tennis and that’s something that I kind of coach year after year and keeping that work up at a real high level,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “With the talent we have in our lineup, I think that’s the recipe. It’s really pushing us over the top. We’re just hoping to keep it going into the conference and NCAA tournament.”

INFO BOX

Singles
1. #4 Julia Cohen (UM) def. No. 55 Sasha Kulikova (WF) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 22 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Sierra Poske (WF) 6-0, 6-2
3. No. 51 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) 6-0, 5-7, 10-2
4. No. 27 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Christian Tara (WF) 6-0, 6-0
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Ryann Cutillo (WF) 6-0, 6-1
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Aileen Davis (WF) 5-7, 6-1,10-6

Doubles
1. #15 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) def. Kulikova/Poske (WF) 8-0
2. #47 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. Malhevy/Davis (WF) 8-3
3. Mejia/Wasilewsko (UM) def. Tara/Katarina Reveche (WF) 8-6

Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...