Community gathers again for Jazz on the Green

Spectators of all ages attended the free Jazz on the Green Concert behind the Gusman Concert Hall on Sunday afternoon. The University of Miami Jazz Concert Band performed with guest artist Nicole Yarling.

The Coral Gables community, UM students, faculty and alumni did not hesitate to take advantage of the free event.

“I was excited for a free jazz concert out on the green. It’s a beautiful day, it’s free, so I grabbed a blanket, some sandwiches and came,” junior Stephanie Lavey said.

While some students came because it was free, other students had different motivations.

“I thought it would be a great idea to take a break from studying,” graduate student Lennie Coleman said.

The concert not only benefited the student attendees but the student performers as well.

“It is practical experience for them playing in a big band. Playing a live show makes them not completely unaware of what’s in store for them.” said Dante Luciani, the band director.

Even Yarling, an established jazz vocalist who also plays violin and fiddle, was delighted to perform with the UM students.

“They are all great musicians. It is an honor to work with them,” she said.

The Jazz on the Green event was sponsored by the Succession Group, a wealth transfer and business succession planning firm.

“To be able to share my appreciation and love for music with the UM community is a gift,” explained Peggy Hollander, a member of UM Citizen’s Board and managing partner of the Succession Group.

Shelly Berg, dean of the School of Music, expressed his delight at the event’s continual appeal.

“This is our sixth year so its popularity is growing and everyone loves it – I know I do!” he said. “The turnout keeps getting better.”

Mikaela Green

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...