Community gathers again for Jazz on the Green

Spectators of all ages attended the free Jazz on the Green Concert behind the Gusman Concert Hall on Sunday afternoon. The University of Miami Jazz Concert Band performed with guest artist Nicole Yarling.

The Coral Gables community, UM students, faculty and alumni did not hesitate to take advantage of the free event.

“I was excited for a free jazz concert out on the green. It’s a beautiful day, it’s free, so I grabbed a blanket, some sandwiches and came,” junior Stephanie Lavey said.

While some students came because it was free, other students had different motivations.

“I thought it would be a great idea to take a break from studying,” graduate student Lennie Coleman said.

The concert not only benefited the student attendees but the student performers as well.

“It is practical experience for them playing in a big band. Playing a live show makes them not completely unaware of what’s in store for them.” said Dante Luciani, the band director.

Even Yarling, an established jazz vocalist who also plays violin and fiddle, was delighted to perform with the UM students.

“They are all great musicians. It is an honor to work with them,” she said.

The Jazz on the Green event was sponsored by the Succession Group, a wealth transfer and business succession planning firm.

“To be able to share my appreciation and love for music with the UM community is a gift,” explained Peggy Hollander, a member of UM Citizen’s Board and managing partner of the Succession Group.

Shelly Berg, dean of the School of Music, expressed his delight at the event’s continual appeal.

“This is our sixth year so its popularity is growing and everyone loves it – I know I do!” he said. “The turnout keeps getting better.”

Mikaela Green

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...