Baseball

Sophomore lefty Hernandez bumped to Saturday night spot after rough outings

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

University of Miami Baseball Head Coach Jim Morris announced today that there will be a change in the weekend pitching rotation.

Struggling sophomore Chris Hernandez will now pitch on Saturday and switch slots with junior David Gutierrez. Gutierrez will toll the mound tomorrow in the series opener against Florida State at 7 p.m.

Hernandez has not lived up to expectations this year after being honored as a preseason All-American. He is 2-2 with an ERA of 5.88. Pitching Coach J.D. Arteaga and Morris elected to rest the 2008 National Freshman Pitcher of the Year this fall after he led the staff in innings pitched last season and pitched for the U.S. National Team over the summer. In his first 21 collegiate starts, he never suffered a loss. He has now suffered back to back losses to Virginia and Georgia Tech. Last Friday he gave up a career high seven earned runs.

Gutierrez, despite a 2-2 record, has had solid performances and currently holds a 1.51 ERA.

Justin Antweil

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Senior Raheem Chambers boasted an NCAA-leading 60m time in the final on Saturday at the Vanderbilt I ...

In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, Miami Athletics' Student Athlete Advisory Committee ( ...

Miami tops Georgia Southern, 5-0, Sunday night. ...