Baseball

Sophomore lefty Hernandez bumped to Saturday night spot after rough outings

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

University of Miami Baseball Head Coach Jim Morris announced today that there will be a change in the weekend pitching rotation.

Struggling sophomore Chris Hernandez will now pitch on Saturday and switch slots with junior David Gutierrez. Gutierrez will toll the mound tomorrow in the series opener against Florida State at 7 p.m.

Hernandez has not lived up to expectations this year after being honored as a preseason All-American. He is 2-2 with an ERA of 5.88. Pitching Coach J.D. Arteaga and Morris elected to rest the 2008 National Freshman Pitcher of the Year this fall after he led the staff in innings pitched last season and pitched for the U.S. National Team over the summer. In his first 21 collegiate starts, he never suffered a loss. He has now suffered back to back losses to Virginia and Georgia Tech. Last Friday he gave up a career high seven earned runs.

Gutierrez, despite a 2-2 record, has had solid performances and currently holds a 1.51 ERA.

Justin Antweil

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...