Baseball

Sophomore lefty Hernandez bumped to Saturday night spot after rough outings

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

University of Miami Baseball Head Coach Jim Morris announced today that there will be a change in the weekend pitching rotation.

Struggling sophomore Chris Hernandez will now pitch on Saturday and switch slots with junior David Gutierrez. Gutierrez will toll the mound tomorrow in the series opener against Florida State at 7 p.m.

Hernandez has not lived up to expectations this year after being honored as a preseason All-American. He is 2-2 with an ERA of 5.88. Pitching Coach J.D. Arteaga and Morris elected to rest the 2008 National Freshman Pitcher of the Year this fall after he led the staff in innings pitched last season and pitched for the U.S. National Team over the summer. In his first 21 collegiate starts, he never suffered a loss. He has now suffered back to back losses to Virginia and Georgia Tech. Last Friday he gave up a career high seven earned runs.

Gutierrez, despite a 2-2 record, has had solid performances and currently holds a 1.51 ERA.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...