Baseball

Sophomore lefty Hernandez bumped to Saturday night spot after rough outings

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

University of Miami Baseball Head Coach Jim Morris announced today that there will be a change in the weekend pitching rotation.

Struggling sophomore Chris Hernandez will now pitch on Saturday and switch slots with junior David Gutierrez. Gutierrez will toll the mound tomorrow in the series opener against Florida State at 7 p.m.

Hernandez has not lived up to expectations this year after being honored as a preseason All-American. He is 2-2 with an ERA of 5.88. Pitching Coach J.D. Arteaga and Morris elected to rest the 2008 National Freshman Pitcher of the Year this fall after he led the staff in innings pitched last season and pitched for the U.S. National Team over the summer. In his first 21 collegiate starts, he never suffered a loss. He has now suffered back to back losses to Virginia and Georgia Tech. Last Friday he gave up a career high seven earned runs.

Gutierrez, despite a 2-2 record, has had solid performances and currently holds a 1.51 ERA.

Justin Antweil

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...