Our opinion: Drastic action necessary in face of hawk menace

The University of Miami is facing a severe problem. No, not economic turmoil, or a lack of parking. Or even the end of spring football. No, this is a threat to our very existence. The cause of such concern? Hawks.

The red-shouldered hawk has returned to campus. For at least the past three years, the east side of campus near Mahoney-Pearson and the West Lab Elementary School has been made a death trap with the arrival of these agents of Satan himself. They nest, they swoop and they attack. Yet we go on about our lives as though nothing has happened. Well, fellow students, it is now time to act. Here are our proposals:

1. President Shalala must immediately evacuate all university buildings east of the canal (towards US-1), including Mahoney-Pearson Residential College, in an orderly manner, preferably avoiding pavement. Even though the BankUnited Center is almost a half-mile away as the hawk flies, this is no time to cut corners.

2. A comprehensive plan must be developed by the university administration, including a blue-ribbon panel to discuss hawk removal, and the funding of a hawk-protection program, including, but not limited to, hawk suits and hawk hats for all students, faculty and staff.

3. A re-evaluation of all future university construction on campus with hawks in mind. Features should include hawk sirens, the removal of all trees and the possibility of doming the Coral Gables campus.

As we have said, these are not easy actions to take. But we must protect the safety and well-being of the university community at all costs. Not only will this protect us from the evils of the hawks, it will stimulate our local economy. The time for words is over. The time for action is now.

Note: This editorial was written on April 1, 2009.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...