‘Fast and Furious’ thrills but doesn’t think

For those who loved the first movie, were impartial to the second movie, and did not understand the third movie, Fast and Furious is the sequel that should have been made in the first place. The original cast comes back to retell the story of Dom (Vin Diesel), Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker), Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster). It may be five years later, but the characters are just as fresh as ever.

The movie brings back the elements that work (gratuitous bikini-clad women, fast cars and booze-soaked parties) while introducing new characters and more high-octane action than should be allowed. The cars are better and flashier, the chases are faster and more destructive. The first 15 minutes grab viewers’ attention, and the movie doesn’t let go until the final credits roll. Each character has evolved in the past five years and questions unanswered from the original are finally addressed.

Vin Diesel, reprising his role as Dominic Toretto, is back doing what he does best: driving fast, talking in his deep, raspy voice, and wearing children’s extra small white tees. Only Diesel can pull it off, and he does it so very well.

This movie is a true escape from beginning to end. Though not a thought-provoking film by any means, Fast and Furious is a great action film with constant car chases and testosterone-heavy action.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...