‘Fast and Furious’ thrills but doesn’t think

For those who loved the first movie, were impartial to the second movie, and did not understand the third movie, Fast and Furious is the sequel that should have been made in the first place. The original cast comes back to retell the story of Dom (Vin Diesel), Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker), Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster). It may be five years later, but the characters are just as fresh as ever.

The movie brings back the elements that work (gratuitous bikini-clad women, fast cars and booze-soaked parties) while introducing new characters and more high-octane action than should be allowed. The cars are better and flashier, the chases are faster and more destructive. The first 15 minutes grab viewers’ attention, and the movie doesn’t let go until the final credits roll. Each character has evolved in the past five years and questions unanswered from the original are finally addressed.

Vin Diesel, reprising his role as Dominic Toretto, is back doing what he does best: driving fast, talking in his deep, raspy voice, and wearing children’s extra small white tees. Only Diesel can pull it off, and he does it so very well.

This movie is a true escape from beginning to end. Though not a thought-provoking film by any means, Fast and Furious is a great action film with constant car chases and testosterone-heavy action.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...

The first-year and redshirt players in Miami's developmental training program have spent months ...