‘Fast and Furious’ thrills but doesn’t think

For those who loved the first movie, were impartial to the second movie, and did not understand the third movie, Fast and Furious is the sequel that should have been made in the first place. The original cast comes back to retell the story of Dom (Vin Diesel), Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker), Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster). It may be five years later, but the characters are just as fresh as ever.

The movie brings back the elements that work (gratuitous bikini-clad women, fast cars and booze-soaked parties) while introducing new characters and more high-octane action than should be allowed. The cars are better and flashier, the chases are faster and more destructive. The first 15 minutes grab viewers’ attention, and the movie doesn’t let go until the final credits roll. Each character has evolved in the past five years and questions unanswered from the original are finally addressed.

Vin Diesel, reprising his role as Dominic Toretto, is back doing what he does best: driving fast, talking in his deep, raspy voice, and wearing children’s extra small white tees. Only Diesel can pull it off, and he does it so very well.

This movie is a true escape from beginning to end. Though not a thought-provoking film by any means, Fast and Furious is a great action film with constant car chases and testosterone-heavy action.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...