Avissar named new dean of RSMAS

Roni Avissar, speaking to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change last June, will become the new dean of RSMAS, replacing Otis Brown.

Two weeks, two new deans for the University of Miami.

Roni Avissar, a professor at Duke University specilizing in climatology, has been named the new head of the Universiy of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, according to a statement from the university.

“Roni Avissar is a distinguished scientist and prominent scholar who will bring strong leadership to the rich academic resources of the Rosenstiel School,” university president Donna E. Shalala said in the statement.

Avissar joined Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering in 2001, and served as the W.H. Gardner Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering for five years. While serving as chair of the department, he increased fundraising from less than $1 million to $4.2 million and took the department to a No. 18 ranking in U.S. News & World Report.

“I am certainly humbled by the responsibilities and thrilled to be able to lead what I consider to be the top school of marine and atmospheric science in the country,” Avissar said. “It’s a great joy for me and I’m truly excited and looking forward to the hard work that lies in front of us to make the school an even better place.”

Avissar will be replacing Otis Brown, who has served as the dean of the school since 1995 and has been with UM since 1974. He will remain with the school, returning to the faculty.

Matthew Bunch

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...