Avissar named new dean of RSMAS

Roni Avissar, speaking to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change last June, will become the new dean of RSMAS, replacing Otis Brown.

Two weeks, two new deans for the University of Miami.

Roni Avissar, a professor at Duke University specilizing in climatology, has been named the new head of the Universiy of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, according to a statement from the university.

“Roni Avissar is a distinguished scientist and prominent scholar who will bring strong leadership to the rich academic resources of the Rosenstiel School,” university president Donna E. Shalala said in the statement.

Avissar joined Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering in 2001, and served as the W.H. Gardner Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering for five years. While serving as chair of the department, he increased fundraising from less than $1 million to $4.2 million and took the department to a No. 18 ranking in U.S. News & World Report.

“I am certainly humbled by the responsibilities and thrilled to be able to lead what I consider to be the top school of marine and atmospheric science in the country,” Avissar said. “It’s a great joy for me and I’m truly excited and looking forward to the hard work that lies in front of us to make the school an even better place.”

Avissar will be replacing Otis Brown, who has served as the dean of the school since 1995 and has been with UM since 1974. He will remain with the school, returning to the faculty.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...