Avissar named new dean of RSMAS

Roni Avissar, speaking to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change last June, will become the new dean of RSMAS, replacing Otis Brown.

Two weeks, two new deans for the University of Miami.

Roni Avissar, a professor at Duke University specilizing in climatology, has been named the new head of the Universiy of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, according to a statement from the university.

“Roni Avissar is a distinguished scientist and prominent scholar who will bring strong leadership to the rich academic resources of the Rosenstiel School,” university president Donna E. Shalala said in the statement.

Avissar joined Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering in 2001, and served as the W.H. Gardner Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering for five years. While serving as chair of the department, he increased fundraising from less than $1 million to $4.2 million and took the department to a No. 18 ranking in U.S. News & World Report.

“I am certainly humbled by the responsibilities and thrilled to be able to lead what I consider to be the top school of marine and atmospheric science in the country,” Avissar said. “It’s a great joy for me and I’m truly excited and looking forward to the hard work that lies in front of us to make the school an even better place.”

Avissar will be replacing Otis Brown, who has served as the dean of the school since 1995 and has been with UM since 1974. He will remain with the school, returning to the faculty.

Matthew Bunch

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...