Ultra a sea of colors and music

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=42″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]
CHELSEA MATIASH // PHOTO EDITOR

CHELSEA MATIASH // PHOTO EDITOR

Take away the fashion and Ultra Music Festival wouldn’t be quite the same.

Odd personalities and neon roamed free at Bicentennial Park in downtown Miami on both Friday and Saturday as the world’s top DJs, bands and producers performed on 16 different stages for more than 70,000 people.

“[I’m here] for the music, of course. Why else would I be at Ultra?” said first-timer Damian Mejia of San Jose, who sported an inflatable gator on his back and called himself Gator Man. “I wore a gator because I’m in Florida and I need to represent for my Cali people. I’m giving myself a vacation and I don’t know how I’m going to top this.”

Garrett “Tank” Jones of Diamond Bar, Calif., meanwhile, wore only red spandex and a pimp hat because he “loves this country so much.”

This year’s hottest trend among women: furry leg warmers.

“They make your feet look cute and chunky like a pony,” Chloé Boulanger said. “And ponies are my favorite.”

She and Julia Doltchinkova, who is originally from Bulgaria but now lives in Miami, have been sporting the look for the past four festivals.

“This is what I wait for all year,” Doltchinkova said. “I’ve lost sleep and not eaten for like weeks. Me and her were on diets. We planned our outfits since September. It took a good month to put together.”

But despite all the talk about clothing, or the lack thereof, the main draw to the 11th annual festival was acts like The Prodigy, Tiesto, Carl Cox, Moby and Timbaland.

Texas native Daniel Vasquez stood and waited in the front row with a group of friends since 4 p.m. only to learn five hours later that his favorite band, Bloc Party, would not perform due to lead singer Kele Okereke’s case of viral pharyngitis. No official announcement regarding the cancellation was ever made to the crowd by Ultra officials.

As The Black Eyed Peas took the stage for their first performance together since 2007, a disappointed Vasquez began to find his way out of the mass of people and had a few choice words.

“Screw Fergie,” he shouted.

Others, like Grace Heisenbot, who made it to the front row around 4:30 p.m. with her friend Amanda, didn’t mind the absence of the London-based group.

“I was really excited for The Ting Tings and they were amazing. They’re my favorite,” said Heisenbot, a native of Miami. “[Bloc Party not being here] just means David Guetta and The Black Eyed Peas will come sooner!”

Besides the live performances, thousands flocked inside tents for laser light shows, sat atop a hill overlooking the main stage, and consumed alcoholic beverages and a variety of foods ranging from gyros to pizza.

Exclaimed Jones, “‘Epic’ could be the only word to possibly describe something as beautiful and magical as this experience.”

Visit www.themiamihurricane.com for more Ultra coverage.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...