Football

Patel: Canes football springing into new direction

Pravin Patel

Pravin Patel

The spring session has finally come to a close. The outcome: The defense falling victim to a 52-3 thumping by the offense, at the annual Spring Game.

Though a great deal of uncertainty has surrounded this team, with all the changes on the coaching staff, the team looks like it has cleared some of those clouds.

While the Spring Game was a nice showcase of some of what the team has been working on at practice, we really won’t know the true identity of this team until they kick things off in the fall.

With that said, here are my thoughts on what the spring has foretold:

1. Freshman quarterback Taylor Cook looks like he will be the man behind Jacory Harris. Cook has been impressive in practices and has been getting the snaps with the second team.

2. Fans should expect an offensive renaissance. First-year offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will be running a pro-style offense, which will look nothing like what we saw last year.

3. The Canes are deep at running back. The exciting part is that all of these guys can play. With Javarris James and Graig Cooper leading the way, the Canes were already sitting pretty. Adding freshmen Mike James and Lamar Miller and having Damien Berry transfer to the position gives the Canes serious options.

4. Secondary and linebacker the question mark positions. Randy Phillips and Vaughn Telemaque are likely to open the season at safety, while Brandon Harris and DeMarcus Van Dyke should get the nod at corner. The problem with these units, last year, was inconsistency and age. We will have to see who steps up here. Don’t be surprised if both areas see a lot of player shuffling throughout the season.

5. Impact freshmen: Running back Mike James and defensive lineman Olivier Vernon have shined during the spring. Expect James to make an impact on special teams, as the Canes are stacked at running back, and expect Vernon to get playing time behind Eric Moncur.

Pravin Patel

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...