Our opinion: Status of art school facilities a concern for all students

It’s easy to look around our campus and imagine it as a paradise of higher education. Between the wildlife and the vegetation, it sometimes more closely resembles a country club than a university. But there is a significant blight on the Coral Gables campus, and while it doesn’t directly impact each student, it is something we should all be aware of.

As reported in our cover story, our university’s art school is housed in buildings that can only be described as sub-standard. Constructed by the Army in the times of our grandparents, the wooden shacks have long outserved their usefulness to our university. History is something to be preserved and cherished by our university, but this is taking it a little bit too far.

And the greatest indignity is the fact that there is no quick-action plan to rectify the situation. A building that was supposed to be knocked over in 1992 still stands to this day, and is expected to stand until at least 2015, if not longer. We get that the economy isn’t exactly flying right now, but at some point it’s unfair to expect students who bear the same tuition burden as every other Cane to try to learn in these kind of conditions.

And therein lies the point. We’re all students at the University of Miami. From engineering to English, from calculus to communication and clay works, we all pay the same tuition and inhabit the same campus. How can we look at our art school friends and say to them just grin and bear it while we enjoy our renovated Memorial classrooms and brand new buildings in Communications and Nursing? We all want the best possible education for ourselves for our investment. But when some students are dealing with such insufficient facilities, all students should be their advocates.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...