‘The Amazing Race’ for the average person

University of Miami travelers with a sense of adventure and a taste for novelty can now live out their “Amazing Race” fantasies this summer with Competitours. With the all-new travel competition company, teams of two can book fixed trip dates lasting eight, 10, or 14 days. Like the reality TV show, travelers are given only a half day’s notice of their destinations and compete in challenges along the way to win a grand prize travel spree.

Unlike the do-or-die, high-adrenaline stunts and footraces to the finish marked by the show, challenges for Competitours are self-selected and based on creativity, giving travelers the ability to control what they see and where they go in each city.

“It’s a totally different way to experience Europe,” said Competitours President Steven Belkin. “It’s sight-doing. It’s not just going to see the Eiffel Tower, because anyone can do that. It’s going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower and convincing 10 people to do the can-can.”

But can Competitours live up to the show?

“Yes, but no,” said senior Aidin Lopez, who is majoring in education. “Part of the appeal of ‘The Amazing Race’ is the adventure and doing things you would never do, like climbing an ice wall or bungee jumping in an African ravine.”

Though the experience is not quite the same, it has the appeal of accessibility with its affordable trip options. “Just the flights to Europe can cost almost as much [as a Competitours package],” said senior Jonathan Merker, a creative writing major. “It’s a good alternative to reality TV.”

The idea seems to be taking off.

“Our inaugural trip is already sold out,” said Belkin.

Those wanting to compete, but not quite ready to send in their audition tape to CBS, can check out Competitours’ offers at www.competitours.com.
Info Box:

Trips range from $1,995 to $2,950 per person

Payment due after travel to ensure quality of experience

Grand prize includes up to 40 nights at over 115 hotel options in 51 countries

“The Amazing Race” season 14 airs Sundays, 8 p.m. on CBS

Carla Tabag

Contributing EDGE Writer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...