Arts and Sciences dean Halleran to become provost at William & Mary

halleran2

DEAN MICHAEL R. HALLERAN

Michael R. Halleran, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will become the next provost at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va., according to a statement from William & Mary president Taylor Reveley.

“Dr. Halleran is a teacher, scholar, and academic administrator of compelling distinction. He is committed to the liberal arts and to the sense of community that characterize William & Mary,” Reveley said in the release. “In my judgment, he will be an extraordinarily able provost.”

Halleran joined the school in 2005, among the first dean hires made by university president Donna E. Shalala. He came to UM from the University of Washington, where he specialized in classics.

“I am pleased to have this new opportunity, but I am sad to leave my colleagues and friends at UM,” Halleran said in a statement from the University of Miami. “It has been an honor to serve as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences for the past four years and a privilege to work with so many wonderful and dedicated individuals to move our great university forward.”

In his four years as the head of UM’s largest college, he created the first-year seminar program, the summer writing institute and raised the school’s fundraising from approximately $2 million to $7.6 million in 2007-2008.
“Michael Halleran brings to his new post the inquisitiveness of a fine scholar with the decisiveness of a seasoned administrator,” Shalala said. “The College of William & Mary has gained an academic leader and a truly wonderful, caring person as its new provost.”
Halleran will be replacing current provost P. Geoffrey Feiss on July 1, pending approval of the William & Mary Board of Visitors. Halleran was one of three finalists for the position, and visited the campus on Feb. 26 and 27.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...