University of Miami Knight Center for International Media brings attention to water scarcity for World Water Day

Like a drop of water to a pond, the University of Miami’s message on water preservation has rippled not only around campus, but also the world.

The Knight Center for International Media at UM’s School of Communication has paired with the San Fransisco-based Independent Television Service (ITVS) to produce four films addressing the issue of water as a scarcity.

The film One Water was shown Tuesday at UM’s Cosford Cinema in conjunction with World Water Day on Sunday.

It is part of the 1H20 Campaign 2009 launched by UM. The film was shot in 15 countries and documented the necessity to preserve the earth’s limited water supplies.

Vice Dean, Professor and Executive Director of the Knight Center, Sanjeev Chatterjee, who produced, co-directed and wrote “One Water,” said the film’s goal is to not only spread the word of water as a scarcity everywhere, but to influence the production of media on the issue.

“The film has been shown around the world, and now four other countries have created their own filming of One Water,” Chatterjee said.

These four films also had contributions from the UM’s College of Engineering, Frost School of Music, School of Communication and, most recently, the School of Education.

Co-director of One Water Ali Habashi, who is the Director of the Arnold Center for Confluent Media Study, said students at UM were largely responsible for the online component of the 1H20 Campaign which included audio and video editing.

Habashi said the goal of the films is to spread a message worldwide.

“We want to start a discussion [about the scarcity of water issue]and bring in people from other backgrounds,” Habashi said.

Hunter Smith

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...