Patricia D. White named new law school dean

PATRICIA D. WHITE

PATRICIA D. WHITE

The University of Miami announced last week that it has hired a dean to take over the School of Law.

Patricia D. White, currently the Jack Brown Professor of Law at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University, will replace acting dean Paul R. Verkuil who has served in that capacity since former longtime dean Dennis O. Lynch stepped down in May 2008 to return to the faculty. During this academic year, she is serving as a visiting professor at the Georgetown University Law Center and is acting as Special Counsel to Steptoe & Johnson, LLP in Washington, D.C. She will join the university in July.

“The University of Miami has gained a visionary leader in the legal education arena,” university president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement released by the university. “Her vast experience, energy, and innovative spirit will greatly enhance the law school’s national profile.”

White joined ASU in 1999 and served as dean until 2008, becoming the longest-serving law school dean in the history of the school. In her time, she doubled the faculty, giving the school the third-best faculty-to-student ratio in the country, and spawned a number of new initiatives, including an active pro-bono program for students.

“The University of Miami has made a wonderful choice for the dean of its law school,” retired Supreme Court Justice and namesake of ASU’s College of Law Sandra Day O’Connor said in a statement released by the university. “Trish White was a superb dean at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, and she will come to Miami with experience, wisdom, and enthusiasm.”

The law school hire is the first of two announcements on dean hires expected in the coming weeks. According to Shalala, the search for a replacement for Dean Otis Brown at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science is drawing to a close and an selection is expected before the end of the academic year.

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as more information on the Law School and RSMAS deans becomes available.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...